Our client is a trader of Commodity and Energy products including, Gas, Power, LNG and Oil, based in Central London. They offer a unique chance to work within a growing and diversifying business, with a strong commercial appetite.
As Senior Operational Risk Analyst, your role will be to support the development, operation, monitoring, and operational testing of the company’s system of internal control to manage and or mitigate the business operational risks.
RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
- Provide subject matter expert advice to senior management and the wider business on the management of key Operational Risk issues.
- Support the development and maintenance of the operational risk framework to enable identification and assessment of major operational risks across core and emerging commercial and operational activities in line with recognised best practice and standards.
- Support the development of the operational risk strategy to meet emerging regulatory and business drivers.
- Support the design and operation of the Risk Control Self-Assessment methodology and reporting of the output to the Risk Control Committee and the Management Team.
- Conduct incident investigations and extract learnings and risk insights to drive performance improvements, gain approvals and provide focus to line department plans on business process & continuous improvement activity.
- Manage the New Business Assurance process and contribute to the risk oversight and control in relation to new strategic initiatives and operational capability projects.
- Support the prioritisation, design, and delivery of Business Change Projects.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
- Degree, or equivalent.
- Professional qualification preferred (e.g., IRM, GARP, ACA, ACCA, CIMA)
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- The successful candidate would preferably be from an energy trading background with significant proven experience in an operational risk and energy trading and/or risk environment.
- A background within other management and control functions i.e., Commercial Finance, Risk Management, Accounting, Audit, Internal Control, Business Change and Business Assurance, or a related Risk Consulting Practice.
- Detailed working knowledge of operational risk best practice application and implementation. (e.g. Basel II, COSO)
- Detailed knowledge of operational risk & control processes and practices, including experience in their application; knowledge of Operational Rigour / Testing Frameworks and practices; proven experience in design and testing of controls.
- Working knowledge of the energy trading (Oil, Gas, LNG, Power etc.) and supply chain business; front- to-back office best practices.
- Working knowledge of the energy transaction lifecycle.
- Experience of controls and the setting up of controls environment (e.g., Basel II, COSO)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; initiates communications within the team to learn and share knowledge and follows up to ensure message is received; ability to communicate well with front, mid and back-office personnel as well as senior levels of management; listens attentively, seeks to understand others viewpoints, and tests for understanding; ability to communicate complex issues simply;
- Ability to balance operational risk management theory and practical best practice implementation with commercial and resource constraints.
- Good interpersonal skills and a team player, able to build working relationships within, and across, teams/departments.
- Strong IT skills and aptitude; experience of working with large sets of data and producing reports; experience with energy trading risk management (ETRM) systems such as Endur and Symphony;