Our client is a trader of Commodity and Energy products including, Oil, Gas, Power, and LNG based in Central London. They offer a unique chance to work within a growing and diversifying business, with a strong commercial appetite.
- Take a pro-active lead on Risk analysis, i.e.
- Analyse risk reports (current metrics vs P&L) and Develop views on the risk profile by business unit, portfolio or strategy;
- Propose new risk measures\stress tests; Develop the method; Implement the prototype and Coordinate the process industrialization with other teams.
- Calculate VaR as part of rotation and explain to the desks any significant changes against market moves and actual positions;
- Support price sourcing and maintenance as well provide specialist input into logic behind curve builds for Oil and Products
- Take ownership of short-to-mid term IT projects to develop or enhance our Risk systems (e.g. data feed process setup and industrialization; prototyping offline analytical tool; performing UAT, maintaining ETRM reference data);
- Contribute pro-actively to the regular assessment of the risk metric methodologies and the back\stress testing processes as the business develops and report any issue, loophole or inconsistency to the Market Risk manager;
- Assess pro-actively the appropriateness of the current Risk metrics (incl. back/stress testing) environment as the business develops and the market conditions change, and make recommendation for improvement to the Market Risk manager;
- Review regularly the consistency of control processes and policies as the business develops and report any issue to the Market Risk manager;
- Develop & manage daily relationship with key business stakeholders across the board (FO, MO, Ops, Finance and IT);
- Advanced degree in Mathematical finance/economics, Sciences or Engineering.
- Proven experience in an energy trading environment;
- Solid mathematical or financial engineering educational background: Good understanding of the mainstream derivative products.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES
- Excellent knowledge of the physical and financial markets in general and the risk management function in the commodity energy industry in particular;
- Detailed knowledge of Oil and/or Refined Products trading is a prerequisite;
- Clear vision of risk reporting infrastructure, deal life cycle processes and complex structured deal representation in ETRM;
- Strong quantitative and programmatic skills (Excel is a prerequisite, scripting\database query language is an advantage).
- Solid knowledge of a commodity physical business: nature of market risks (time spread, basis risk etc.), logistics (delivery, transfer of title etc.), physical assets (e.g. oil inventory, gas storage, power tolling);
- Be a self-starter as well as a team player;
- Willingness and ability to work and deliver on challenging timelines;
- Be diligent and dedicated to manage ad-hoc analysis and projects in a timely manner;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Understand position management and price risk for a physical commodity business;
- Ability to articulate and communicate complex risk matters in an effective manner to senior management;
- Maintaining a balance of a strong independent mind in executing responsibilities and effective relationships with FO and other support functions;
- Ability to work well under pressure.