Our client is a leading, world renowned Global Commodity trading company.
The Risk Department is an independent function aiming to control front-line trading. The Risk Department ensures that the risk-reward of the trading books is properly understood by senior management and that the physical exposure of the business – e.g., oil cargoes, electricity generation, gas deliveries – is correctly valued.
This position requires the successful candidate to monitor daily the risk across all desks within the Oil Marketing department, with a specific focus on the Power desk. It implies checking the VaR and risks not in VaR of the desks, suggest new ways to stress test and analyse the portfolio and communicate those accordingly when needed to Senior Management. The role reports to the Head of Market Risk.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ability to calculate and report daily risk analysis and VaR on trading books.
- Ability to share with the team the responsibility to maintain price databases.
- To advise upon, and directly contribute to ongoing system and model development for the measurement of risk and carry out model reviews to help ensure best practice is followed.
- To undertake assessments of a wide range of transactions, carrying out modelling and analysis as necessary
- To communicate results effectively with traders and senior management.
- To proactively identify and communicate issues that may cause a surprise and ensure that reports or measurements present a reflection of this.
- Ability to use and understand trading concepts and identify the main influences that drive changes in prices and price relationships.
- To regularly engage in discussion with traders and management about exposure taken.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Educated to degree level at 2.1 or above (or similar).
- Relevant work experience in Commodity trading Market Risk or similar,
- Coding skills in VBA, Python, advantageous.
- Highly numerate, with good problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Good communication skills – must be able to understand others’ perspectives and relate complex ideas to different groups, including senior management.
- The ability to challenge proposals constructively to help ensure they are robust, whilst maintaining excellent working relationships.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team, flexibly handling a wide range of potential issues.
- Must be capable of working with significant autonomy and ensuring analysis is focused on delivering practical business benefits, often in tight deadlines.