Our client is a very successful international Energy Trading company with access all key markets worldwide…
The Market Risk team provides an independent view of market risk exposure for all physical and financial energy trading activity. The team is responsible for designing risk methodologies, implementing a suitable risk control framework and providing quantitative and qualitative market risk analysis and risk control solutions. The team works closely with other Middle Office functions to provide a global platform of systems, processes and controls in support of our clients commercial activities.
The role has a global remit across all geographies where our client trades and encompasses all energy commodity market risks. It will take accountability for the overall direction of the company’s market risk function and play a leading role in setting our clients risk culture. The successful candidate will coordinate company-wide risk policies, enforce their application to market risk and report on current market risk levels.
The role will involve the management of a global team, including staff in Singapore and London.
The role will manage the interface on market risk matters with shareholder risk functions, internal and external audits and a key interface with the commercial teams on risk matters. The role will involve close liaison with Credit Risk, Internal Audit and Product Control teams and require interaction across the business to maintain a firm control culture. The role is part of the Middle Office leadership team and strong team spirit and collaboration is expected with all counterparts.
Key Role Responsibilities
- Support the Senior Manager Market Risk to manage and lead the Market Risk team across both Singapore and London offices, providing direction and standards of operational delivery for the function, ensuring a global and cohesive approach
- Provide visibility of market and operational risks to the Executive team and senior trading management through metrics, exception reports and timely escalation of issues
- Develop market and operational risk methodologies and solution strategies to ensure the implementation of globally consistent standards, policies, and operating practices
- Provide technical leadership to ensure accurate and appropriate risk identification, measurement and controls process design for the portfolio
- Prepare and coordinate Global Risk Committees with the Senior Market Manager and appraise them on key market risks
- Evaluate and assess new products, trading strategies and new business activities for impact on the Company’s market risk profile and operations
- Coordinate, where appropriate, the NBC process and structured due diligence around new/material business. Provide practical challenge to new business activity, a full and fair representation of the activity and includes comprehensive due diligence
- Report market risks and KRIs to internal and shareholder stakeholders, ensuring an accurate and timely manner
- With the support of Internal Control and Compliance team investigate, when relevant, significant breaches and incidents and timely flag potential breaches of the Risk Mandate, Risk Management Procedures and Business Transaction Procedures
- Implement improvements to the control platform in order to strengthen controls, processes and operational performance, prevent inaccuracies and mistakes
- Play a leading role in developing and implementing valuation and risk quantification systems. Validate front office valuation models used to define P&L and risk position
- Build a culture within the team and within the wider company of risk awareness and risk insight, where a speak-up culture is encouraged and expected.
Key Qualifications and Experience
- Experience in energy market risk management within an investment bank or energy trading company
- Detailed knowledge of global energy commodity markets and derivatives products
- In-depth knowledge of risk metrics across market and liquidity risk
- Track record of risk control leadership in design, implementation and organisational influence
- Experience in project and people management
- At least 8 years of professional experience
- In-depth knowledge of risk management processes within a commodity trading environment
- Expert knowledge of KRIs relevant to energy commodity markets
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills, including a good understanding of statistics
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products, VBA, SQL, Matlab, Python, and Alteryx preferred
- Attention to detail and a strong focus on the accuracy of information
- A proven track record of leading and motivating others
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to accurately communicate complex technical information in an accessible manner to all audiences
- Ability to communicate and motivate across borders, cultures and working environments (office/virtual)
- Strong team spirit and motivation, able to set and embody a high-performance working culture
- Ability to influence and advise at a senior management level across functions
- Ability to manage a time constrained environment of often conflicting pressures