Our client is an international organisation, actively involved in International Trade & Development, based in Central London.
We are looking for a qualified in-house counsel to give accurate and timely counsel to the management in a variety of legal topics, safeguard the firm’s reputation by guaranteeing that the company strictly follows laws and regulations, and effectively ensures legal conformity.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
You will be responsible for a wide range of legal matters in various fields, within all subsidiaries and branch offices of the group in Europe, CIS, Middle East, and Africa (“EMEA”), alongside external legal advisers, for example:
- Drafting and reviewing commercial contracts, such as sales/purchase, agency, distributorship, storage, consignment, joint venture, and various forms of investment contracts
- Advising and handling disputes and claims which arise in relation to our business activities
- Undertaking investigations in support of our compliance activities
- Conducting company secretarial work for the company and its affiliates
- Monitoring and sharing information on relevant changes in laws and legal practice, and when required assisting on the implementation of such new regulations.
- The scope of work covers transactions and operations in not only the UK jurisdiction but also in other jurisdictions in the EMEA region.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Fully qualified lawyer (U.K. law) with Proven post qualification experience (more than 2 years).
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent contract drafting skills.
- Professional written & verbal English language skills.
- Broad understanding of commercial transactions, both domestic and international.
- Ability to work well both under own initiative and with colleagues in the UK and overseas.
- Willing to undertake travel within UK and overseas.
- Work experience in a major UK or US business law firm as an associate desirable.
- Qualification in or prior work experience involving a civil law jurisdiction desirable.
- Experience living in Japan or working for a Japanese company desirable.
- Japanese language proficiency desirable.