Our client is a leading, world renowned Global Commodity trading company.
The Risk Department ensures that the risk-reward of the trading books is properly understood by senior management and that the physical exposure of the business – e.g. oil cargoes, electricity generation, gas deliveries – is correctly valued.
This position requires being able to both understand complex financial transactions, including the flow of physical commodities across the world, and a pro-active approach to communication with the trading desks. The Risk Analyst should have the talent and knowledge to exercise prudent judgment in creating and calibrating the appropriate risk measures as well as the ability to clearly and logically present the methodology supporting the risk calculation.
This role will be based on the LNG Trading desk.
- Responsible for calculating and running daily risk reports, including the desk’s P&L, and conducting analysis on trading books.
- Assisting in the development of new and existing systems, models, processes, and reports, and periodically perform quantitative and qualitative reviews of them.
- To undertake assessments of a large transactions to help with the representation of implied risks or optionality.
- To communicate results effectively with traders and senior management
- To proactively identify and communicate issues that may cause a surprise and ensure that reports or measurements present a reflection of this.
- To regularly engage in discussion with traders and management about exposure taken
- Any other ad hoc duties that may be required from time to time.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Educated to minimum degree level at 2.1 or above (or similar).
- Coding skills in VBA, Python, advantageous
- Highly numerate, with good problem-solving and analytical skills
- Good communication skills – must be able to understand others’ perspectives and relate complex ideas to different groups, including senior management.
- The ability to challenge proposals constructively to help ensure they are robust, whilst maintaining excellent working relationships
- Must be able to work effectively in a team, flexibly handling a wide range of potential issues.
- Must be capable of working with significant autonomy and ensuring analysis is focused on delivering practical business benefits, often in tight deadlines.