Our client is an International Oil & Gas trading and marketing company, with a presence in over 80 countries.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a commodity trading lawyer and compliance specialist to join the Legal Support Centre of a dynamic and rapidly growing refining and energy trading company.
This role will primarily be accountable for providing commercial legal and compliance advice, support to the commodity trading and executive functions of the newly formed trading company, which is wholly owned subsidiary of the main group.
You will also support members of the legal team of the wider Group and its other subsidiaries, with advice on a diverse range of other European legal issues and aspects of corporate governance.
- Providing legal advice and compliance support to commodity trading teams including advising on biofuels, physical gas, LNG, refined product and petrochemical trading contracts, General Terms & Conditions, storage agreements, charterparties, shipping, demurrage issues and legal related issues arising during business development.
- Ensuring the business complies with Dutch laws and any local exchange rules & regulations applicable to the physical and financial trading of commodities and protecting the business from compliance risks arising out of this activity.
- Advising the business on the resolution of contentious trading and non-trading issues, disputes, or enquiries with the support of external counsel where required.
- Drafting and reviewing corporate documents including board documents, liaising with external company secretary and business stakeholders on company secretarial and corporate governance matters.
- Identifying legal & compliance risks and supporting the provision of legal & compliance training across the business with the assistance of external counsel where required.
- Providing legal advice and support on other EU related legal issues arising from the group’s affiliates’, with the assistance of external counsel where required.
- Degree in Law
- Qualified Lawyer in Netherlands, additional qualification in EU countries will be prioritized.
- Experience of working in the energy sector, along with a track record of compliance and/or advising on commodity trading issues.
- If from private practice, at least 3 months spent on secondment to a commodity trading company, bank, or an in-house corporate/commercial team.
- Good understanding of the energy trading industry and solid background in a commodity trading, corporate or commercial discipline.
- Knowledge of shipping, Crude oil, biofuels, products and/or LNG, gas & power trading agreements/Incoterms/General Terms & Conditions would be advantageous.
- Knowledge of Dutch laws, commodity exchange rules and regulations applicable to the trading of hydrocarbon products.
- Previous experience of acting in a compliance specialist and/or compliance monitoring capacity would be advantageous.