Our client is an established Oil trading company, with physical assets across Europe. They actively source, refine, market and trade Crude Oil and Oil products, and associated financial derivatives.
Due to recent growth across their asset portfolio and a growing workload, we are looking to expand the Commercial Modelling team, and recruit an experienced modelling/quantitative analyst, to provide support to the Head of Analytics.
The successful candidate will provide analytical support to the front office of the business, with emphasis on Financial/Quantitative Analysis, related to Oil trading and refining and the broader Group’s businesses. You will report to the Head of Analytics and support the front office with all analytics, financial modelling, and internal dashboard requirements.
- You will be accountable for developing deep fundamental and technical market analysis primarily supporting the front office. The analytics required includes the following areas;
- Product flows
- Market intelligence
- Pricing dynamics
- Freight modelling,
- Asset performance
- Sales optimization
- Feedstock selection
- Models support strategic decision, informing issues ranging from daily operations through to future acquisitions. Some of the meaningful goals and responsibilities include supporting projects to redevelop existing models, reviewing, and improving the methods and building the models. The role will require the use of our analytical platforms using excel/R/SQL software to support the business. There will be additional requirements to maintain internal dashboards.
- Provide statistical and structural analysis based on forward derivative markets and PnL forecasting. You will be expected to make modelling assumptions in your role as an analyst. To accomplish this goal, you must first research, examine market trends and data, and then conclude based on this information.
- Liaise closely with business units including refinery planning, scheduling, finance, risk, M&A, Corporate finance personnel. Provide in-depth quantitative analysis to support the various business units.
- Model EBITDA/GRM/Cash forecasts for the refinery business. Modelling of cash flows/Pnl etc. in preparation for financing events e.g., Bond issues/inventory refinancing/factoring facilities/dividend payments.
- Provide analysis on special projects related to the refinery’s operations including margin and FX risk assessment, working capital management and financing, economic analysis of projects under review by management, analysis of performance, liquidity, and covenants forecasting.
COMMERCIAL AND TECHNICAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Degree in mathematics/engineering or other relevant quantitative fields.
- Strong analytical/quantitative skills the commodities space with experience in refining highly desirable.
- Professional qualifications or working towards accreditations are considered beneficial. This includes CFA or data science certifications.
- Experience in creating complex models using tools such as Excel and R. Experience with SQL is beneficial.
- Experience with data visualization tools of PowerBI/Tableau/Qlik is considered beneficial.
OTHER SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Comfortable with financial/trade analysis and management reporting.
- Sufficient background in statistical analysis and accounting; highly numerate
- Strong communication skills with an ability to work seamlessly across functions and cultures.
- Polished demeanour when interacting with external banks and financial service companies.
- Ability to influence people and build consensus.
- Self-starter with a desire to stand out in terms of performance and leadership.
- Can move effortlessly from concept shaping to execution.
- Team player with good interpersonal skills
- Excellent presentation skills, both form and format
- Ability to work in a pressurised environment, prioritise issues and resolve them independently.
- Comfortable travelling on a regular basis.